1963 Corvair 700 Sedan

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
cory

1963 Corvair 700 Sedan

Post by cory »

Hello,

I am a 17 year old, and have a 1963 Corvair Sedan 700 across the street. The guy said the engine cranks, and there’s no rust on the frame. I haven’t looked it over yet, but what should I look for? Is this a good first project? I love Corvairs, they’re much different than all the other cars from the era. Also, I hate Ralph Nader. Thanks for your help!
cory

Re: 1963 Corvair 700 Sedan

Post by cory »

4D506E75-4ABF-4E0F-82D1-8A2429AB816C.jpeg
Krfjkm

Post by Krfjkm »

Hi Cory!

I think it would all depend on what he is asking for it and how mechanically inclined you are--

Good luck!
cory

Post by cory »

Krfjkm wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 pm Hi Cory!

I think it would all depend on what he is asking for it and how mechanically inclined you are--

Good luck!
I have the basic comprehension of maintenance. I do have many resources around to help me also. Money doesn’t seem like it’ll be extravagant, but what is a good price for a non-running Sedan?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

From the only photo you supplied I would say that in my area that car would not bring more than around $500. I assume that there is not a fresh new looking interior in there. If the interior upholstery is not torn and not stiff it might bring a couple hundred more.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
cory

Post by cory »

terribleted wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:07 am From the only photo you supplied I would say that in my area that car would not bring more than around $500. I assume that there is not a fresh new looking interior in there. If the interior upholstery is not torn and not stiff it might bring a couple hundred more.
It’s got some rips and tears, but it could be much worse. It could use a really deep clean, and throw a knit seat cover over it. I just want to get it running if I buy it, luxuries are next.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

An old car buddy always told me "A car that doesn't run isn't worth anything". That's simplistic, but his point was you just don't know what you'll find and how much it costs to fix. I'm out West were rust is not the issue it is in other parts of the country, but you still find cars that need so much work they aren't worth buying, BECAUSE you can find old Corvairs for sale that folks started working on and put more money into then they can get out.

Your picture shows the cars bottom may be sitting on the ground. My experience suggests the floors may be rusted badly. A Corvair is an unibody vehicle so extensive floor rot is BAD. If it is just the areas were your feet go that are rusted then panels are made to fix that, but you need welding skills.

It's great you like Corvairs, but check around and you may find one that is rough, but somebody fixed up the brakes, the body is fair, the engine runs acceptable for not a lot of money. I see "projects" all the time were folks run out of money, patience, or an area to fix them and sell for less than what they have in the car.

Good luck.

Return to “Introductions”