Hello from England

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
dolomitefan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Hello from England

Post by dolomitefan »

Just before Christmas I collected a 1961 Corvair Greenbrier which I imported from Indiana. It's in lovely condition, very original with the clock showing just 32,000 miles. Looking at the condition it is probably correct.

The import process took ages but so far I'm very happy with the van. Needs a few jobs but is a good project. So far I've washed and polished it, wet vac'd 50+ years of grime from the seats, changed the oil, greased the suspension and that's about it. Next job will be to fit some seat belts to the front.

I also own a 1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint and a 1993 Mazda Eunos Roadster, this is my first American car and my first taste of a Corvair.

Here she is. I'm calling her Gladys.

1961 Greenbrier - From Indiana to England (1).jpg
1961 Greenbrier - From Indiana to England (2).jpg
1961 Greenbrier - From Indiana to England (3).jpg
1961 Greenbrier - From Indiana to England (4).jpg
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30
guru_1071

Re: Hello from England

Post by guru_1071 »

HI, nice purchase

just to be sad yours is the earliest commercial that I have found in the UK, and is the only one that was built at the Flint factory

I now have five commercials on my list, 3 x green, 1 x panel, 1 x ramp.

that's 24 EM corvairs that I now know of
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Welcome! I saw your FC on other forums too. Looks to be in nice shape and complete. Enjoy!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

Greetings from Essex. Sweet ride.
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Your Greenbrier looks really nice! Congratulations! You may be interested in joining "Corvanatics", an online special interest group that's devoted to Greenbriers, Rampsides, Loadsides and Corvans like yours. Their "Resources" web page has links to plenty of manuals, tech information, how-to tips, etc. http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvana ... ources.php
Datsolow

Post by Datsolow »

Hi and welcome I’m in [emoji636] also south London doing an engine valve seat modification at the moment.What area are you from.
All best Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

Nice to see. Mine is a 62 and I love it. Not sure how you find it, but I love driving it around, the ride is so smooth compared to modern cars, if not really 'performance', like my BMW.
If you have any technical questions that you might want to run by me, I've restored a 64 vert and the Greenbrier as nut and bolt restos, and totally rebuilt 3 engines now, so I know them quite well. I've also upgraded a lot of the basics, like dual masters and adding seat belts for instance, so happy to let you know what I think are value changes that can be made.
You can also expect virtually everyone who sees it to tell you how much they love it, sometimes going out can take 4 times as long as you expected because of the amount of people that you will end up talking to. Even my daughters, who have no interest in any other automotive projects I might take on, love the Greenbrier with a passion.
I've got a lot of spares as well, might be worth asking before you pay double for import. Mind you I've been offering stuff to loads of people for ages but no-one seems to be interested, for reasons I really don't know.
I'm on the Surrey Hampshire border, happy to chat.
Vman
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Vman »

Hi love the Greenbrier great to see another vair this side of pond. I know we are all scattered around UK would be great to all meet up sometime possibly at car show?

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

dolomitefan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dolomitefan »

I'm based nr Stoke on Trent.

I plan to go to a few shows this year Tatton Park 1st weekend in July is a big American show, a great show all round in fact. They also do a couple of other large classic car shows, 2000+ cars one in June and 1 in August. I can't do June but planning on doing August.

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30
Vman
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Vman »

dolomitefan wrote:I'm based nr Stoke on Trent.

I plan to go to a few shows this year Tatton Park 1st weekend in July is a big American show, a great show all round in fact. They also do a couple of other large classic car shows, 2000+ cars one in June and 1 in August. I can't do June but planning on doing August.
I did Tatton park last year is good show just need weather. There is big show at trentham which is local for you ,not sure of date.also from march though September there is regular meet at brewery in stone run by reepers been once but was made to feel welcome so was good ,have search on Facebook I'm from Atherton by the way .

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

dolomitefan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dolomitefan »

Yes Trentham is about 10 mins from me, usually it's on Father's Day. This year the show is 17th June I think.

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

If there is a show a bit nearer central UK then it would be good to get all the UK Greenbriers in one place for a day this year. I'm sure some classic auto magazine somewhere would make something of it.
dolomitefan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dolomitefan »

I've managed to make contact with another previous owner who had the van from 85-2009. Seems he found it in a barn in North Carolina with 11,000 miles on it. He has lots more interesting stories to tell so I've arranged a phone call later this week to find out more.

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:clap: A tribute to your fine acquisition... :not worthy:
Gladys the British Greenbrier.jpg
:chevy: :mm: :chevy:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dolomitefan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dolomitefan »

bbodie52 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:06 am
:clap: A tribute to your fine acquisition... :not worthy:
:chevy: :mm: :chevy:
I like that a lot :tu:

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The theme park Alton Towers is in the Staffordshire Moorlands and several of the world's largest pottery manufacturers are based in Stoke-on-Trent.
ImageImageImageImageImage

When I saw your location I looked for some facts about your home. I lived in Kaiserslautern, Germany from 1980-1983 and was able to tour London and some of the surrounding area before we returned to the USA. When I saw your location and found out that some of the largest pottery manufacturers are located there, I got the idea for your Corvair Greenbrier tribute. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Fine American Van.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”