New from Ohio

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
SBX614

New from Ohio

Post by SBX614 »

Hello all.

I'm new to the Corvair world. I'm a musician by trade who comes from a family of decent mechanics (y'all know the deal; black sheep of the family, etcetera). Through the process of reconnecting with my family, I've rediscovered an old love for these cars. I played in them as a kid, and remember them fondly. My grandfather had three of them, all 95 HP Monzas. A '64 coupe, a '65 coupe, and a '66 convertible.

Fast forward 35 years. All 3 are still around, and have been stored, covered, in a barn. While the tanks weren't drained and the cars weren't prepared for long-term storage, the barn floors were dry and the cars are (upon quick and automotively uneducated inspection) are relatively rust-free. With the blessing of my father and brothers, I've begun the process of learning about these cars with the intention of restoring each of them as far as my budget (not much) will allow.

Please know that while my father and brothers are car-savvy, I'm sure ain't. I'm the type of dude who, up until a couple of months ago, couldn't have told you the difference between a distributor and a differential.

I joined CORSA, read the Bob Helt-edited "Corvair Basics," and ordered my manuals from Clark's.

I went to my first Corvair Club meet today. There was a guy there with an immaculate concurs 1963 500 model. Everything was original. 15,000 and change miles. Even the tires. The rubber those things looked brand new. I'm still laughing about that one. Here's how that conversation went:

Me: Those are the original tires?
Joe: Yep. No radials on that one. Pshhh. Uniroyals. They weren't that good when they were new!
Me: yeah?
Joe: Yeah. It'll wander on ya.
Me: I'll bet.

Anyway, I suppose I'm saying "Hello," thanks for all of the really helpful posts.
Jerry Whitt

Re: New from Ohio

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Welcome to the Forum!
As you get into the car thing, questions will come up and we will be happy to try and answer.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
County98

Post by County98 »

Welcome sir!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
toytron

Post by toytron »

Welcome! Now you're gonna hafta write a song about corvairs![emoji2]

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

:clap: Your written description of the three Corvairs that have long been in storage has certainly piqued my interest! I hope you will follow-up with some photographs that show the details of your family "barn find". It made me think of a "Straight Flush", since it contains three cars of sequential rank, all of the same suit (I know I've deviated from a Poker hand of five cards, but you are short two Corvairs!)

Straight Flush Barn Find.jpg
Removing your car from storage/Reviving a Dead Corvair
:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=5030

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
SBX614

Post by SBX614 »

Thanks everyone! I'll post photos as I go. I have some reading and research to do!

Return to “Introductions”