New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Jakes1968

Post by Jakes1968 »

Hello there. My name jake just bought my first corvair in December, also happens to be my first air cooled. I am a certified diesel mechanic and I live in Ky. Right now I have a some valve problems with the car but taking to the head shop tomorrow. I'll post pictures soon
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Newbie

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :dontknow: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! It sounds like you had the merriest of Christmases in December, when you took possession of your "new" Corvair.

I have read both of your posts, and came away frustrated. The problem with the Forum and the Internet is that we are blind unless you give us enough information to allow us to share our Corvair wisdom. ::-): An unnamed electronic ignition, a "valve problem" that lacks details, and no pictures of your car or its engine compartment, leaves us at :dontknow:

The only advice I can offer at this point is to suggest that you remember that much of your engine is made of ALUMINUM. I'm assuming that a diesel mechanic is used to working with big bolts, steel, and cast iron. It is probably hard to hurt the threads on such a beast, but the Corvair engine is a somewhat delicate creature that requires a soft touch. You should download or otherwise obtain a shop manual and other appropriate technical references. Use anti-seize compound on the threads of bolts that will enter aluminum, hand-tighten each bolt to prevent cross-threading, and finish up with a torque wrench while following the specifications in the shop manual.

If you can provide more details about your "valve problem'' and the electronic ignition system, and include detailed engine compartment photographs I'm sure you will receive numerous ideas, suggestions and opinions.

There are two CORSA (Corvair Society of America) owner's clubs in Kentucky. If one is near your location I would suggest contacting them and perhaps joining the closest club chapter. These groups are family-friendly, and often offer technical training and assistance, and social events like competitions, car shows, picnics, scenic drives, etc.
Derby City Corvair, 7515 Cambridge Dr., Crestwood, KY, :link: http://www.derbycitycorvair.net/
Our club is located in Metro Louisville, Kentucky. The club meets once each month on the second Tuesday 7:00 PM at Bob Hook Chevrolet, 4144 Bardstown Road. Come meet with us to share your interest in our favorite car. Visitors may attend three meetings before deciding on membership. Owning a Corvair is not required. Several members own other marques while others have two or more Vairs. According to one source, a car collector is someone with at least three collectable cars. As a rule Corvair owners have little problem acquiring two or more cars.

Derby City Corvair is as much a social organization for the family as it is a car club. The members get together for meetings, dinners, technical sessions, picnics, car shows, car rallies and other events. We enjoy showing our cars and talking to others about theirs. If another enthusiast has a problem, there is always someone to help with advice or a needed part. Bring your car to a meeting and tell us how you became involved with Corvairs. We will listen to your story and chances are you will hear our story too.

If you would like to join us, send an email or call Ken Amick at 812-987-6400. He will be happy to answer your questions and introduce you to the group at the next event
Central Kentucky Corvair Enthusiasts, 110 Paddock Dr., Nicholasville, KY :link: http://kycorvair.org/

You may find the following link to be useful...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”