Greetings from Indiana!

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
ptr

Greetings from Indiana!

Post by ptr »

Thought I'd introduce myself after lurking for a couple of months. Apologies in advance for the length, but I wanted to share some background and what I'm thinking so you can provide input.

I've gotten the itch to do another car project and my son (14) has been on me to build a car. After some research I'm close to beginning a late model Corvair project: Something cool with ageless late sixties styling, mechanically straightforward for my son to learn the hobby, yet nimble and fun to drive through a corner.

I first got into the car hobby with a '72 Chevelle (The Beast) in high school. It started life as a Centurion Bronze Heavy Chevy package (all looks and no performance - fake cowl induction hood, 350 2bbl, 3 speed manual, and drum brakes) that I rebuilt a 402 and dropped in it along with an M22, posi rear end, disc brakes, bucket seats, and revised suspension. Painted it Corvette yellow with black stripes. It was never more than a 10 footer at best, but were there ever some good memories made in that car :tu:

I drove it all through high school and college, but let go of it in the early 90's for next to nothing as I didn't have anywhere to keep it and it needed some serious work to keep the rust monster at bay. Apparently it would now be worth $4-5K even in that condition, if not more - amazing what late 60's, early 70's A Bodies are going for these days. I saw what was claimed to be a numbers matching '72 small block SS convertible that was a total rust bucket listed for $10 grand - firm!

I thought about doing a pro touring style Chevelle (LS engine, Tremec, rack and pinion steering, etc.) for the nostalgia factor, but that's more than I think is in my son's attention span right now. Not to mention that's way too much car for a newer driver and there's no way I could/should keep him out of it once he gets his license if he helps build it. Feel free to insert a comment about the hypocrisy that I managed to keep from wrapping a high power, ill handling, poor braking muscle car around a phone pole when I was 16 here ::-):. However, I had grown up on a farm and had been driving tractors, farm trucks, snowmobiles, etc. forever. Dad had me disking corn stalks when I was in kindergarten.

I've kept my fabrication/mechanical skills sharp with several cars over the years, especially a '99 Mazda Miata (The M Job) that I purchased new with the express intention of modifying and making mine. I've re-engineered the suspension, added a turbo, Willwood brakes, and many custom touches inside and out. Once again - not something that my son is going to get to drive for a while as it's about 240 HP on a chassis dyno - a real handful if you're not on top of it, but a heck of a lot of fun if you know how to drive. You can throw it into a corner, mash the accelerator and it will turn in, sit down, and put the power down. It's an absolute joy to drive on a nice day and damn quick around an autocross circuit, but it takes an educated right foot and quick hands to manage in the wet...

Since this would be a second extra, fair weather car, I'm thinking a convertible even though the late model Corvair is one of the few vehicles that I think almost looks better as a coupe than a convertible. Having a five seat convertible would also alleviate the issue of having three children fighting over who gets to ride in the open seat in the Miata - we could all five fit.

If I were to find a "perfect" car it would be a '66 (we would both be celebrating our 50th birthdays) 140 HP 4 speed Corsa convertible. Given my long history of not being able resist the call to improve/customize cars, perhaps it's just as well I build something to my tastes rather than start with a more collectible vehicle. I made that decision with the Miata - I resisted buying the limited 10th anniversary edition as I knew I was going to modify it. I'd have felt guilty modifying a rare edition.

In preparation for this project I got a Clark's catalog and ordered/read "The Classic Corvair", "Keep Your Corvair Alive", and "Performance Corvairs." Based on my reading and other research here and elsewhere my plans include:

- Quicker steering box and/or arms - after driving the Miata stock Corvair steering feels so slow
- Dual channel master cylinder and disc brakes

While the LM drum brakes aren't terrible, I have too many vivid recollections of doing the brake fade boogie around obstacles back in the day before I fitted disc brakes on the Chevelle. I literally cracked the steering wheel pulling on it to exert more force on the brake pedal when a semi jack-knifed in front of me on the freeway. I never want to have that feeling again and certainly don't want my kids to ever have it. Teaching them to drive a non-ABS car will be education enough.

- Corsa gauge set

I must have a full set of gauges (and as a pilot I love the idea of having a cylinder head temperature gauge). I found a guy in Arizona that does custom gauge faces and had him make me a set of gauge faces for the Miata that look like aircraft dials. I might have to see what it would cost to do the same on this to really buy into the air-cooled aspect of the vehicle.

- Camaro style front spoiler
- A proper HID headlight retrofit

I've retrofit HIDs into my Miata and conversion van (the Family Truckster) and there's no substitute for modern lighting. It's just as much a safety component as good brakes and tires.

I haven't made a final decision on color yet, but am thinking either yellow with black stripes and a black top as an homage to the beast or the Corvair "Danube Blue" with white interior and top. I've seen several pictures of deep blue 'vairs and it really looks good with the car's lines, especially with yellow lights fitted in the inboard locations. Speaking of color, is it just me or were one out of every two Corvairs red with a red interior? To each their own, but I'm not a fan of red cars in general and red over red is just WAY too much red for me.

I'm going to look this weekend at a '65 Monza convertible that a fellow Purdue alum has for sale. It started life yellow, but has been media blasted and is currently sitting in epoxy primer. I like that it's all there in front of you in its naked truth - no gallons of filler hiding under a pretty paint job. It needs a couple of patch panels at the front of the front fenders and a small rust repair on the front valance, but the rockers, rear quarters, and windshield mounts are solid. The bottom side looks very good as well with only minimal surface rust on the shell. The seller already replaced the trunk floor, but the original floor panels are solid. It needs some panel beating to work out dings and dents, but that would give us something to do over the winter.

I'm not sure of the driveline condition, but he says it runs reasonably well. My plan would be to get it running reliably and focus on stopping, turning, and bodywork first so we can enjoy the car while working on upgrading the driveline later. I think I'd like to build an engine with 140 heads modified for a set of three barrel Webers along with a posi diff, but all things in time. Interestingly enough I just saw that there is a Corvair performance clinic next March in my hometown of Kokomo Indiana. I might have to make a trek over there and check it out.

Thanks in advance for the help that I'll undoubtedly be asking for along the way. One of the reasons I'm leaning toward doing a Corvair project is the strength of the Corvair community and parts/aftermarket availability and price. I have enjoyed and greatly benefited from the Miata community on my other toy and know the value it brings.
'65 Corvair Covertible
Restoration in process
barrist

Re: Greetings from Indiana!

Post by barrist »

Welcome to the Forum ! :welcomeparty:

Not sure what help you are looking for, but I can help with how NOT to do a convertible top on a '65.

Where at in Indiana?
Have a Great Day,

Bill
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the New One https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3 ... storm.html
ptr

Post by ptr »

I'm in West Lafayette.

I'll be sure to consult you before doing the top. What not to do is a good start [emoji6].

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
'65 Corvair Covertible
Restoration in process
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

Welcome from Southern California! You seem to know what you're doing, and have a solid plan...that's a great way to start! Enjoy!
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
jwarren3768

Post by jwarren3768 »

Welcome. You'll find quite a few nice guys here and lots of experience with these odd little ducks we all love.

Sounds like an excellent plan although i have to disagree with your comment about the coupe being prettier than the convertible, but hey, we are all entitled to our opinions right!!

Good luck with whatever you choose and good on you for including your son. My son and I rebuilt tractors together so were able to have that bonding time, plus he knows how to work with his hands. Not too many kids can tell the difference between a cylinder head and an oil pan!

J.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Welcome fellow Hoosier. Looks like a nice list of upgrades you have there, I'm sure your son will love it. I did notice your mention of headlights and thought you might be interested in a write up I did of installing projectors. I drive in the dark a lot and they work great even with non-HID bulbs (HIDs are honestly not worth messing with in my opinion). If you need help with anything or suggestions on what to do you came to the right place.

Projector install: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=9666&p=84326#p84326
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ptr

Post by ptr »

Thanks everyone. I pulled the trigger on the '65 Monza. Going to go pick it up this weekend before I leave for a week-long trip. As I mentioned earlier it's in primer, but solid other than needing patch panels at the front of the front fenders. Once I get back I'll take and share some pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
'65 Corvair Covertible
Restoration in process
ptr

Post by ptr »

91blaze wrote:Welcome fellow Hoosier. Looks like a nice list of upgrades you have there, I'm sure your son will love it. I did notice your mention of headlights and thought you might be interested in a write up I did of installing projectors. I drive in the dark a lot and they work great even with non-HID bulbs (HIDs are honestly not worth messing with in my opinion). If you need help with anything or suggestions on what to do you came to the right place.

Projector install: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=9666&p=84326#p84326
I'd already bookmarked that thread ;-). I agree that It's projectors that are key to better lighting, although I do like the color of HID's (nothing more than 5K though - I want white, not blue).
'65 Corvair Covertible
Restoration in process
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Welcome! Here's another thread of the HID retrofit I did on my car if you're interested: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 727,page=1
Whatever you do don't buy xentec ballasts! They are junk and won't last. Ask me how I know. Pay the extra and go with morimoto or something else that is quality. Also if you would like to put better guages in the corsa dash panel you can get adapter plates from Seth Emerson to mount speedhut gauges or others brands that fit the same standard sizing. http://www.perfvair.com/dash-parts-steering-columns/

Congrats on your purchase and good luck with the car. There's lots of good knowledge and support out in corvair land if you ever get stuck.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
SirThomas

Post by SirThomas »

Hello Fellow Hoosier, welcome to the Forum. I look forward to reading of your adventures with this. My son and I are working on a 1965 Corsa coupe with several Fitch Sprint characteristics now. We hope to debut the car in the spring at the annual Circle City Corvair Club picnic. If I don't see you at the Corvair Performance Workshop (which you should definitely attend) then perhaps I'll see you at the picnic.

I'm in the middle of a search for a '66 Corsa convertible with a 140 engine as well right now. Go figure. If you happen across a second close find, let me know! :tu:
Thomas Ratliff
Fitch Sprint (in progress)
Circle City Corvair Club member

Return to “Introductions”