Would you buy this? Looking for advice.

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Aircooledfan

Would you buy this? Looking for advice.

Post by Aircooledfan »

Hello all. I'm an inveterate wrencher. I own a VW Thing as a daily driver and have worked on many other vehicles and built 4 airplanes. Corvairs are not in the list of my familiar vehicles though. I'm stationed in Hawaii and have come across a 64 Monza Convertible with a 140hp motor installed. It has fallen prey to the harsh HI conditions in many ways. The motor turns over by hand but the battery is dead and the gas tank leaks. The floorboards have been replaced. But rust has started the slow and steady destruction as it often does. The car has a few new parts included but the owner has no interest.

I'm looking for a project to keep me busy over the next few years. I have a good deal of mechanical abilities and resources at my disposal. This includes a well equipped paint booth designed for painting helicopters (which I fly for a living). I do not have much experience welding in patch panels. However, part of my interest is to learn and hone new skills in body working.

Hawaii is lacking in Corvair owners and clubs. I'm hoping to lean on the expertise of those of you reading this forum. The asking price is $1700. It isn't worth that much and I could probably talk him down to lower. At the very least, I could part out the usable things and rebuild/resell the motor. I would really appreciate and opinions/advice on this project. I haven't committed to it yet. Is this a can of worms? Would you go for it?
Attachments
Back left quarter panel.
Back left quarter panel.
Inner layer seems to be coated with POR 15.
Inner layer seems to be coated with POR 15.
Can't figure out what those 2 bolts are.
Can't figure out what those 2 bolts are.
Weatherstrip channel is rusted.
Weatherstrip channel is rusted.
20160923_183620.jpg
20160923_183135.jpg
A good view of the front.
A good view of the front.
Small bit of rust through in the wheel well.
Small bit of rust through in the wheel well.
b74eqcm

Re: Would you buy this? Looking for advice.

Post by b74eqcm »

The rust looks like a significant project, but not deadly. The critical areas for rust is in the rocker panels and the door frame 'dog legs.' Quarter panels get rusty but are not structural.

I would guess the two bolts protruding the undercarriage are for seat belt mounting. Seat belts were still optional in 64, and those bolts look like the ones used in the accessory kits.

The place were a lot of money can get sunk is the engine. Turning over by hand would not be enough for me to go to $1700. I would try to make it run (out of a gas can) and see what you have. A dropped valve seat, or no compression would mean thousands in repair dollars.

Assuming no internal engine damage, I might go to $1,000 on it - but I have no frame of reference for what cars go for on the islands.

Good luck!

Jim
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Yeah 1700 Seems like a lot. I got mine for 500$ not knowing if it ran. I've seen people trying to pawn off a corvair for way more than they should. I've also seen very decent cars go for under 2000$. Maybe wait for a better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Does not run, not a Spyder turbo, very rusty, likely needing a full new fuel system and brake system. At best, $500 and that is because it has a 140 engine that has some value (if it is not a lemon). Until it runs and is proven sound you have to assume the engine could be trashed inside. I can't tell you the number of engines I've bought where the seller claims they are good but when I open them up I find pistons with holes, flat cam lobes, dropped valve seats, etc. If the car looks drivable (except for sitting for many years), you have to wonder why it was parked unused all those years unless there was a major hurdle or event that caused the owner to give up on it.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

THANK YOU FOR SERVING!

remember rrrrrrrust never sleeps

dad used to say ... ya cant buy a rusty car cheap enuff ... and run away if they offer to give it to you

did i lsten? no i too have a hard time with "deals".... cant tellya how much time and money i wasted fixing and then suffering final dissapointments

saving for a nice car would have been best everytime

as an aviator...u are probably a perfectionist. good thing too as helicopters kinda demand it!

with that....

you will toil incessantly and prolly never really get it where you want it to be (especially for values). comprimise will be the theme

so....get a beauty from the states. enjoy it ..... and if so compelled get the rustomatic and werk away

if you still have passion for the werk while driving a nice one...keeppa goin!

its hard to have the drive for project completion .... when a nice enjoyable ride is nearby
Last edited by er-mine on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

two bolts...may have had patch there. lots of rivets or welds?

as mentioned...seat bolts or plugs for same makes most sense

logic says stay way...but the heart and the end vision isnt logiocal izzit?
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

I'm curious why they would go through the trouble of installing a 140, but keep the generator? But that's just me. I would agree that $500 would be fair. Best of luck, whatever you decide!
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

steve steve steve..speeking of all the trouble

that animated engine (yur avatar) was pretty time consumin

i am amazed and pleased to view it...but would never do it

same thots on gen change...its great when someone else does it!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

My eldest daughter is in the Army stationed on Oahu! I just went there last year for her wedding. Three days on the island and I only saw three Vairs.... 1 em, 1 LM, 1 rampside.

FYI - I am going through this whole episode myself.

I am in California. Last year I bought a "Field Find" 65 Corsa for $1000. (thread is in my signature) Great deal 100% complete, just un-assembled. I have spent the last year doing the bodywork myself and am now working on the drivepack. Last month I pulled it and the aluminum block and heads were corroded enough that they have to be replaced.... MANY parts are turning out to be only good as a guide for replacement.

I just bought a $2000 65 Corsa "driver" this weekend, because I realize I am looking at at least another year of driveline and undercarriage work and I got sick and tired of driving my VW Golf to Corvair club meetings...

my .02
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
Aircooledfan

Post by Aircooledfan »

Thank you everyone for the sage advice. The asking price of $1,700 is WAY out of the realm of reality. Classic vehicles are a bit of an interesting situation in the Islands. Sometimes they are lower than you would find them elsewhere because support and parts are so hard to come by. However, there are 3 running and good looking Corvair coupes in HI for <$7000.

I've made an offer that basically covers the possible value of the engine plus $100. If the seller bites, I might just dig in and find out how far it goes. If it goes too deep, I'll salvage the engine and parts and send the rest to the junker. That all depends on the seller and whether he is willing to be realistic and accept less than half his asking price.

Return to “Introductions”