New Girl from UK needing help PLEASE

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
ClareJ

New Girl from UK needing help PLEASE

Post by ClareJ »

:helpsos: :wave: Hi all,I'm new to this site but not that new to having a corvair but I am fairly stuck with a few things,I've had my girl a few years now but due to unforeseen circumstances it's had to sit for years and be put on the back burner...despite that she has sat there for years I started her up last week and away she went :-)
It's like I need to start fresh with learning everything about the car again :-( My first question is how do I tell the difference between oil cooled and air cooled ? Mine is a 1964 monza conv ...I feel silly asking as I think I should know this by now but I would love your help please on this subject.

Many Thanks
Clare
mart

Re: New Girl from UK needing help PLEASE

Post by mart »

over to you Brad....
funvairs

Post by funvairs »

The short answer is that your Corvair is air cooled. The primary source of engine cooling is the air drawn in by the fan on top of the engine that passes through the cooling fins on the cylinder barrels and out the heater ducts on the bottom of the engine. There is also a small oil cooler (oil radiator) located at the left, rear of the engine. It is located behind a sheet metal cover.
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome Clare.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
ClareJ

Post by ClareJ »

hi ! how are you ?
ClareJ

Post by ClareJ »

Thank you for your reply ,I will take a look next time I am with the car and let you know if I see what you have said ! I really do appreciate your help .also is it a common thing that when the engine gets real hot ( when sitting in traffic and real hot weather conditions) that the fuel evaporates due to the chrome pipes getting to hot ?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Chrome fuel pipes? Is your Corvair turbocharged?

Are you willing to take some time and do some reading? We can probably point you to some books that will fulfill your desire for knowledge and satisfy your curiosity about the Corvair.

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Your car shouldn't be getting hot when sitting in traffic. As a matter of fact that's when they're coolest, at least in my experience. Are you having fuel starvation issues? Like Brad said, it would be good to give us a little more information on what engine/transmission you have and your specific issues. Pictures are very helpful as well!
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ClareJ

Post by ClareJ »

Sorry for a late reply with this...work keeps me very busy ..I will be going to my car on Tuesday /wed so will take pics and send them to you so you can see.i really appreciate your help in this matter.thank you so much
ClareJ

Post by ClareJ »

My knowledge is not great with the Corvair and my abilities are not the best but I am willing to learn all that I need to know and more.im not afraid of getting my hands dirty sometimes just feel silly when I don't know what things mean :dontknow: I live in th U.K if that's any help on location?

It's nice to know that people are here to help the needy as it were :tu:

Regards Clare
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: :helpsos: Rather than just just using a somewhat random question and answer approach, you might benefit from a more-organized and structured approach to learning about Corvairs by reading a few books about them. That was how I started as a teenager (of course there was no internet or Corvair Forum back then in the late 1960's and early 1970's).

:link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... ds=corvair

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=249

On the technical side, I found the first book listed on the Clark's Corvair Parts catalog page 249 (shown above, entitled Performance Corvairs, to be particularly informative, with good explanations. (I had an earlier version of it in 1969). The Amazon.com link also lists a number of useful and interesting books about Corvairs that cover historical and technical approaches to this automobile. Reading some of these books would provide you with an organized and structured approach to learning, which you could supplement with a series of questions and answers on the Corvair Forum, when needed.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”