I'm back

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
billfunk29

I'm back

Post by billfunk29 »

After 30 years away, I am back in the Corvair clan. in the 80s I did a nuts& bolts restoration on a 65. Well almost restoration, I added some aerodynamics in front and Rack & pinion steering.

I bought a 62 van that I plan to make into a crew cab pickup.
cad-kid

Re: I'm back

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome back!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :guitar: :welcome2: Welcome back, and welcome to the Corvair Forum!

I had Corvairs in my life from about age 8 (1961) until I foolishly sold the 1965 Corsa convertible I grew up with in 1995 as I was getting ready to retire from the Air Force in 1996. I truly regret that decision, but at the time I was raising two teenage boys and getting ready for a major career path change after 24 years in the military. I had not had time or money to work with the Corvair in a number of years, so I gave it up! :doh: :sad:
:imsorry:

In 2012, following our 40th wedding anniversary, I committed to adopt another Corvair — a 1966 Corsa convertible that was similar to the 1965 Corsa I had sold in 1995. So after 16 Corvair-less years I also returned to the fold... so I believe I have some feeling for how you feel!

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
855r

Post by 855r »

Once you get Corvair into your blood, it never really goes away :evil:
billfunk29

Post by billfunk29 »

Thanks for the warm welcome. In regard to my background, I have added some stuff to my profile.
I have the tools to make just about anything, not necessarily the time. I have built several ground up streetrods, including paint and upholstery. I just recently added an english wheel to my shop. That plays into my plans for my 62 Corvan. I will reuse the two side doors for back doors on a crew cab. LIkely extend the wheelbase 12" to get a longer box, and improve highway ride. At first I planned a Toyota previa drive train for reliabilty but now I think I will stay with the corvair engine placed ahead of a 6 spd Audi transaxle. I like the Previa accessory drive scheme and plan to use that, including the supercharger. I'd like to use EFI. So far the Harley throttle body with MegaSquirt looks best. I have some reservations on the reliability though. Any comments on that?
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

You may have to reverse-rotate the Corvair in order for it to turn that Audi transaxle the right way 'round. Sounds like a fun project!
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)

Return to “Introductions”