looking for a mechanic in Los Angeles

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
pgaddy

looking for a mechanic in Los Angeles

Post by pgaddy »

Hi looking for a corvair mechanic in Los Angeles, CA near Marina Del Rey if possible. I Moved from Fort Myers, Florida and have been looking for a decent Mechanic to do some work on my 66 Monza convertible. I am willing to pay for the work in cash and can drive the car as is, but it has some oil leaks that I want to stop. Anybody know of any mechanics in my area contact me or give them my email (pgaddy@yahoo.com). Many thanks! :helpsos:
66vairguy

Re: looking for a mechanic in Los Angeles

Post by 66vairguy »

You are between the Valley club, West Coast Corsa, and the club in Redondo Bch, South Coast Corsa.

The guys in the clubs can suggest mechanics. WCC has a member, Dave Stratlund, who has a van and does mobile service, but I heard a couple months back he was down for medical reasons and not sure if he is back in business. There is a fellow in Long Beach also.

Of course there is Jeff at Calif. Corvairs out in Chino.
pgaddy

Post by pgaddy »

Thanks 66vairguy I didn't know Dave Stratlund was ill I tried contacting him in January and got no reply after my initial email in December. I'll try him again to see if he's better. I am familiar with WCC I'll continue checking around in case.
ChillerPhil

Post by ChillerPhil »

Greetings,
I spoke with a former mechanic of California Corvair last night concerning your need. He stated he is interested and would be contacting you through the forum.
Thanks, PJ.
pgaddy

Post by pgaddy »

[img.]https://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launc ... n3b14#[img]
Lets see if I figured how to post a photo?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is some material on posting pictures on the Corvair Forum. I used these techniques to post the URL addresses of a few of your pictures above. Please let me know if you have any questions...

:whoa: Photographs can be hosted on other public websites, and then shared here using the photograph image URL. Facebook is another URL source option. Alternately, individual photographs can be uploaded directly to the Corvair Forum from a computer hard drive, thumb drive, etc.
If you are not familiar with posting pictures on the Corvair Forum, here are some guidelines. I wrote these instructions a while ago to try to help new members of the Corvair Forum with posting pictures. There are two methods. Hopefully these guidelines will help you...

To be able to post pictures, always use POST REPLY — not QUICK REPLY — to open the full-featured editor.

There are basically two ways to post a digital photograph on the Corvair Forum. The first, illustrated below, involves inserting an image URL address between two Img markers. The URL image address is copied from an existing picture on the Internet. The source image can be another picture already on display within the Corvair Forum, or it can be just about any picture, artwork, or graphic image that is publicly viewable by anyone on the Internet. You simply need to copy the source image URL temporarily to the computer "clipboard", and the paste that URL address within the text you are writing on the Corvair Forum (between the two Img markers). Once you have posted your text, the Corvair Forum software will simply grab the image from the source URL and will display it embedded within your text (at the location where you embedded the Img markers and source URL).

For example, I am embedding the First Place Image and Avatar Image images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.

Here is what the above text looks like unsaved...
For example, I am embedding the First Place [img.]images/ranks/COTBLACKPLATE.png[/img] and Avatar [img.]download/file.php?avatar=2689_1344285003.jpg[/img] images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.
Maybe this illustration will help...

You can manually copy images and pictures from other Corvair Forum posts that were embedded as uploads by right-clicking each image in the source with your right mouse button and selecting Copy image URL or Copy image address from the menu choices. Doing so will invisibly copy the image URL address to the computer temporary data buffer called a clipboard. Using the Img button at the top of the editor screen, and the standard PC copy and paste technique will allow you to paste that URL address data from the clipboard into your Corvair Forum text (surrounded by bracketed img markers), which will display as the original picture or image when the post has been saved for display. It illustration below depicts the process.

Click on image to enlarge for better viewing...
Corvair Forum Image Transfer.jpg
NOTE: This same technique will allow you to copy just about any graphic, photo, or other displayed image from any public website, Facebook, or other website that is not secured and is publically viewable by right-clicking the desired image, obtaining the image URL, and then pasting the URL with Img markers into your Corvair Forum text.

=========================================================================

The other method of embedding pictures involves uploading the images that you have physically stored on your computer. Simply scroll down in the editor and choose the Attachments tab. Then click on the Add files button. If desired, multiple pictures or files can be uploaded at one time, as described in the following link...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=223&t=11386&p=77762#p77762

Either way, the pictures you upload will not be visible as photographs until you click on Preview or Submit.

=========================================================================

There is also an online help section on the Corvair Forum. See...

How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

CorvairForum Site Topics ‹ Site Specific Topics ‹ Site Features and How to Use Them ‹ How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

:link: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=618
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
pgaddy

Post by pgaddy »

IMG_0756[1].jpg
IMG_0755[1].jpg
IMG_0739[1].jpg
IMG_0739[1].jpg (78.95 KiB) Viewed 954 times
http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=36612
http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=36612
IMG_0737[2].jpg (81.73 KiB) Viewed 954 times
http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=36613
http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=36613
IMG_0738[1].jpg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Okay now I think I got this figured out here are the pics!
Attachments
IMG_0757[1].jpg
Jonbraz

Post by Jonbraz »

I'm also looking for a Corvair mechanic in the southbay, I contacted dave statland as well. I'm sure he's great but we scheduled a sat morning meeting, and he was a no show, I texted him about 1 1/2 hrs after our time and he replied that he wouldn't be able to make it out at all. I presumably rescheduled for this weekend but he texted that he could 'probably' make it out.

In lieu of that I'm going to bring it to dick wagoners....who initially told me they didn't work on corvairs.....which is odd since I've seen 1930's chevy's in there to newer cars.

anyone got any info on quality at dick wagoners? The shop looks pretty nice, and some high priced vintage stuff goes through there.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

You could have gone to the SCC Corvair club meeting on Monday night in the South Bay and asked folks there.

Stratland works out of the Valley and won't come down to the South Bay unless he has a few stops lined up, otherwise it's too expensive for him to make one trip, he usually explains that to folks.

Never heard of Dick Wagoners shop and I'm near his location. Because of how different the Corvair engine and transmission are considering a shop just because they work on older cars is hardly a good way to determine if they are Corvair qualified. Even back in the 60's many auto shops would NOT work on a Corvair because it was "different".

You can contact Greg Vargas of SCC on Facebook and he can give you the name of some Corvair mechanics.

Check out SCC on Facebook: /SouthCoastCorsa
Jonbraz

Post by Jonbraz »

ah good to know, he didn't explain that at all though. if he would have told me that I'd prob pay him extra just to come out.

I'll contact the guys on facebook. I didn't know there was a meeting here yesterday, would have def gone.
much thanks
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

If you live in the South Bay area (Torrance or Redondo Bch) the SCC guys are having a drive and picnic on July 10th. A nice bunch and I may even make it. I'm sure if you asked Greg he would welcome you to show up.
Jonbraz

Post by Jonbraz »

Yeah I just started talking to greg Vargas on Facebook, I'll def show up on the 10th even if my corvair isn't fit to make it yet. I really want to get her working and looking good for the September show(?). But itd be cool just to meet people at the july10th

Return to “Introductions”