Southern Maryland Corvair

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Corvair_Jedi

Southern Maryland Corvair

Post by Corvair_Jedi »

Hello All!

My name is John and I just purchased a rough, but character filled Corvair 900 Monza. The car does have a turbo, and Spyder badges, but I'm no too sure that's original! Anyways, I have owned all types of cars, but this is my first Chevy, and my first air cooled anything! I fell in love with how unique, and quirky this car is and hunted down a solid body 63.

I've order a bunch of stuff from Clarks already, and can't wait to get it on the car. I started with an electronic ignition... Turns out it was bad out the box so the car sits while I wait for it to return!

Other than that I have some trim peices I found on eBay, full brake restoration, with a dual master cylinder and a shifter linkage rebuild kit.

My goal with this car.. I just want something that'll turn heads and make people wonder what just calmly, and lowly rolled by. I want to keep it pretty stock, with minor adjustments for more confident driving!

I'm decent with my hands and I love to figure things out.. So here's to learning!

Thanks
b74eqcm

Re: Southern Maryland Corvair

Post by b74eqcm »

Welcome, John! We love pictures, so share a few when you can. We can help determine what you have if you post the VIN. There's a code on the engine block as well, on the flat forward of the oil fill tube.

Jim T.
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:woo: :welcome2: Welcome, John, to the Corvair Forum!

My Parents bought their first Corvair Monza in 1961, when I was just eight years old. The second Corvair, a 1965 Corsa 140 hp convertible, came along when I was 12, and a few years later I took my first drivers test in it. In 1969 my father bought a 1963 Corvair 500 with a frozen engine for me to learn on, and I overhauled the engine and Powerglide automatic transmission during my summer vacation from High School. A short time later I transplanted that engine into a 1962 Monza coupe that needed a fresh engine, and in 1970 I became the owner of a 1963 Spyder convertible. Decades later I am on my tenth family Corvair -- a 1966 Corsa convertible (140 hp), and at age 63 I'm still hooked on those things!

So welcome to the club, and to discovering the joys of Corvair ownership! :whoa:

If you can post pictures of the VIN tag (driver's side door jamb), body tag (engine compartment left side perimeter frame), and the engine serial number (to the right of the generator, between the top shroud and the oil filler tube -- it starts with a "T", followed by four numbers, and ending with two letters), we can decode them for you and provide some production information on your Corvair. Pictures of the body from different angles, interior, and engine compartment would e great too!

I think you will find this forum to be an exceptional place to hang out, ask questions, stay informed, and to contribute from your knowledge to assist other Corvair owners.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your current Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

There are three CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters listed in Maryland. The closest to your location is called Group Corvair in Davidsonville, MD. However, there is little information about them, and no website. The other two are in Towson, MD and in Rohrersville, MD. Only the last club has a website and it is not very informative. The information I can find on each chapter is listed below, if you want to try contacting each of them to investigate further. Some clubs are very active and helpful, while others are almost extinct, depending on the interest and enthusiasm of the members.

CORSA Chapter Locator - Group Corvair
Chapter ID: 207
Organization Name: Group Corvair
Street Address (Primary): 3845 Wayson Road, Davidsonville, MD 21035 (32 MILES)
President: Philip Richardson
Vice President:
Secretary: Marolyn Simpson, Address: 3845 Wayson Road, Davidsonville, MD 21035, Phone: (301) 262-0978
Treasurer
Newsletter Editor: Kevin Broderick
Newsletter Name: Group Corvair Comments
Email (Primary): simpsonj@verizon.net

==============================================================================================

CORSA Chapter Locator - CORSA of Baltimore

Chapter ID: 212
Organization Name: CORSA of Baltimore
Street Address (Primary): 619 Round Oak Rd, Towson, MD 21204-3867 (44 MILES)
President: Jonathan Kendig
Vice President:
Secretary: Bill Wells
Treasurer:
Newsletter Editor: Kevin Linzey, 619 Round Oak Rd, Towson, MD 21204-3867, Phone: (410) 296-5147
Newsletter Name: The Dryspot
Email (Primary): klinzey@acm.org

As far as I can tell, CORSA of Baltimore no longer exists. See the comments in the following link...

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 209,788304

==============================================================================================

CORSA Chapter Locator - Mid-Maryland Corvair Club

Chapter ID: 217
Organization Name: Mid-Maryland Corvair Club
Street Address (Primary): 20620 Guard Court, Rohrersville, MD (60 MILES)
President: Russ Martin
Vice President: Richard Kaetzel
Secretary: Bob Millard
Treasurer:
Newsletter Editor: Bob Millard
Newsletter Name: Mid-Maryland Corvair Club
Email (Primary): midmdcorvair@corvair.org
Hello from the Mid Maryland Corvair Club! We think the Corvair is one of the most amazing cars this country has ever produced. We are dedicated to the preservation and enjoyment of this unique automobile. Our club is a non-profit that was incorporated in 1981.

We usually meet the second Wednesday of the month at 7pm at a dealership in Frederick, MD. Sometimes we meet at other locations, so check the Next Meeting area for details. Meetings are semi-formal. The president runs it and everyone has a chance to speak and ask questions. We especially like to get updates on everyone's projects. After the meeting is over, there is time for informal discussion.

In addition to monthly meetings, we have a summer picnic, a holiday dinner and we participate in two local parades (Boonsboro in May & Brunswick in November). Additionally, members attend local car shows and cruise-ins when possible, and we help each other with our Corvair issues. If you would like more information, please email us at midmdcorvair@corvair.org
There are also several clubs listed in Virginia -- perhaps one of those clubs is closer to your location in Maryland.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Corvair_Jedi

Post by Corvair_Jedi »

Thank you for all the replies! I will try to get more information off the car when I can!

My technical skills are pretty adept. I work on Radar systems as a mechanical technician and a electronics 'engineer'. I've spent most of my mechanical life around Turbos and odd ball V6s. I do however have a 429 swapped F100 that I am also fully rebuilding in addition to the Corvair.

My plans are to make this car as reliable as possible, so I can drive it daily, with confidence and have a beautiful crusier that can grab attention.

So far to meet this I have installed an electronic ignition, electronic choke on the Carter Carb, a compete as possible- shifter rebuild, and am in the process of doing the brakes.

I plan to clean up the interior and update it with some pretty silly touches. Then lower the car, update the exterior a bit, and just drive

Return to “Introductions”