Hello from Hurst, Texas

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
AHecko

Hello from Hurst, Texas

Post by AHecko »

Hello Corvair Forum,
My name is Alan.
I bought my first and only Corvair about 3 weeks ago. I am glad to have found this forum.
The Corvair has appealed to me ever since I was a kid. Mine is a 1965 Monza Coupe. I
was 12 years old when my car was new. I look forward to being part of this Forum. Many thanks!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Hello from Hurst, Texas

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome: :welcome2: :wave: Welcome, Alan, to the Corvair Forum!

We must be about the same age (62). My parents bought their first new Corvair when they bought a white (red interior) 1961 Monza coupe. I was about 8 years old, and in 1965 I was about 12 when they sold the 1961 Monza and bought a new 1965 Corsa convertible. I learned to drive in that car, and in 1969 took my first driver's license test in San Jose, California in the Corsa convertible. I was nervous that day, because everyone in school warned me about the one-armed man at the DMV who was tough on new teenage drivers — I got the one-armed man!!! Everything was going OK until he told me to make a left turn, and I forgot I was driving on a one-way street and attempted a left turn from the middle lane! OOPS! But I went back a few weeks later and passed on my second attempt.

Dad and Brad at Edwards AFB Air Show in 1965 with our new 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible

I didn't wait until my sixties to buy my first Corvair. Over the years we have had ten Corvairs — about half were EM (Early Model 1961-1963) and the other half were LM (Late Model 1965-1966). My wife and I bought our current 1966 Corsa convertible in 2012 for our 40th wedding anniversary. But I'm glad to hear that you decided to take the plunge and buy your first Corvair! I would love to hear more about it and see some pictures of it!

The websites in the following link may be useful to you...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Since you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area, you might want to take advantage of the local CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter. There are five CORSA chapters in Texas, and the following chapter is based in Irving, about 15 miles from you. I must say that this club chapter appears to be very well organized with excellent member participation, based on the content of their website. Membership in this club could really add to your enjoyment of Corvair ownership.

CORSA Chapter Locator - North Texas Corvair Association
Chapter ID: 750
Organization Name: North Texas Corvair Association
Street Address (Primary): North Texas Corvair Association, P.O. Box 170796, Irving, Texas 75017-0796

CHAPTER OFFICERS FOR 2015

President: Fred Rehders, 972-272-0049, fred@thepegasus.us
Vice President: Tommy Wright, 972-345-3449, twmotorcraft@msn.com
Secretary: Bob Gill, 214-686-0289, recycled.roadkill@verizon.net
Treasurer: Susan Wright, 972-438-6209, txbluegrass95@yahoo.com
Activities Coordinator: Mike Boyle, 817-909-7874, txboyle@sbcglobal.net
Director 1: Tom Fricker, 817-821-5094, tomcat.vair35@gmail.com
Director 2: Sam Baker, 214-636-2207, sam.baker101@verizon.net
Director 3: Nick Raeber, 469-863-4416, nraeber@gmail.com

Newsletter Editor: Gail Fricker, 817-821-5094, ntcanews@live.com
Newsletter Name: Transaxle Telegraph
Sample Newsletter:
North Texas Corvair Association - Transaxle Telegraph Newsletter - March 2013.pdf
North Texas Corvair Association - Transaxle Telegraph Newsletter - March 2013
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
Email (Primary): contactsmu@yahoo.com

Next Meeting: NTCA October Meeting
October 3, 2015, Saturday - 2 p.m.

Regular Monthly Meeting at the Senter East building, 228 Chamberlain St.

Meeting Program: Valve Cover Racing Tune Up Session. This is the time of year the Track is set up and testing the performance of our Valve Cover Racers happens, including a mock competition without trophies or cash prizes.
The kits provided by Sam Baker should ensure a great turn out for the testing and competition for the NTCA Corvair Heritage Day VI on October 16, 2015.

Visitors and guests are always welcome. Come and join the fun!

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome to the forum :tu:

Post some pics when you get a chance - we love photos!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I just saw this picture of your beautiful 1965 Monza coupe in a separate post. I love that Evening Orchid color! If you would like, I can decode the body tag and VIN tag if you post pictures of them. These production tags are both located on the perimeter frame in the engine compartment, near the battery and the distributor.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
AHecko

Post by AHecko »

Hey Brad, thanks for all of the information and for the comments. Your Corvair looks terrific. Is the picture above of you and your dad? That's really cool! Yes, I am about to be 62 in December. I've always been a car and motorcycle guy. The Corvair captured me when I was 12. Our
neighbor that lived across the street from my house had a guest come an stay overnight. The guest came and parked her 65 Corvair
right on the street in front of my house. I went outside early that morning and went over to check out this new car I had never seen.
For a 12 year old, it seemed to be just about the right size for me. The drivers door was left unlocked (back in those days you could),
so I hopped inside the Corvair and pretended to drive it. That made an impression on me because I liked the car from then on
and never have forgotten the story.
I've always liked mechanical things. I am not a great mechanic, but I have all the tools and can do most things with a Youtube video or
some instruction from somebody experienced. I worked as a bench repairman for Black & Decker when I was in my early 20's and there
was a fellow I worked with there that taught me the rudiments of repairing things. He was a great guy.
Being new to the Forum, I just now ran across your message. Hope you don't think I ignored you. I'm still finding my way around the site.
I'm really happy to be a part of the Corvair Forum and I appreciate your warm welcome and information. Thank you so much.
Alan Hecko
County98

Post by County98 »

Welcome bud! Enjoy the journey, even if it's slower than you think, lol.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
joemonza

Post by joemonza »

Beautiful Monza. What do you have on it for wheels? I see something shiny there.
Joe Nels
1966 Monza Coupe 4 speed
140 HP 4 barrel carb
AHecko

Post by AHecko »

Those are Chrome rims with Baby Moons. Thank you!!
Alan

Return to “Introductions”